Orthodontics is that part of dental treatment to properly align teeth and jaws.
- Teeth that are straight and evenly spaced are easier to keep clean, leading to better oral health. Better oral health can reduce the incidence of heart disease, gastrointestinal disease, and other health conditions.
- Teeth that are properly aligned chew more efficiently, and that aids in proper digestion.
- Teeth that are straight and properly aligned create a more perfect bite, and that avoids excessive stress, headaches, and strain on your supporting bone and tissue.
- The social benefits of a beautiful smile are also important:
- Confidence – in job interviews, public speaking and personal relationships.
- Clearer speech – teeth play an important role in your ability to speak.
Dental braces (also known as orthodontic braces) are used in orthodontics to align teeth and their position. Braces consist of small metal brackets attached to the outside of the teeth which are connected to each other by an “archwire” that progressively moves the teeth. Braces are often used to correct malocclusions such as underbites, overbites, cross bites and open bites, or crooked teeth and various other flaws of teeth and jaws, whether cosmetic or structural. They are often used in conjunction with other orthodontic appliances to widen the palate or jaws or otherwise shape the teeth and jaws. They are mainly used on children and teenagers, however adults can also use them.
A newer method of straightening teeth consists of a series of clear, removable teeth aligners that dentists use as an alternative to traditional metal dental braces. Having a confident smile can change everything. And Invisalign makes the decision easy, because you can get a stunning smile without most people even noticing you’re going through treatment.